Campus is the number one place to find what is cool, what is new, what is vintage, what is borrowed and what is just stale. Nigerian campuses have now become centres of style and self-expression.
From the fashion weeks to trends brought by Kim Kardashian, girls on campus have created their own contemporary and unique styles. Here are a list of fashion items that are in vogue now and you just have to rock.
1. Mom Jeans. Keep an open mind, okay? It is not as it seems. The mom jeans are not only very street-stylish and modern, they are also very comfortable. They are great with crop-tops, bralettes and off-shoulder tops. But since they are already quite baggy, you should be very cautious. Try not make the mistake of wearing an equally baggy top over it except you plan to tuck it in.
2. The Off-shoulder Top. Whether you are wearing the ones made with Ankara or plain fabric, these off-shoulder tops are the ‘It’ things right now. You can wear them to literally anywhere -the beach, to class, to church, to Ikeja City Mall, to see your friends, to the park, and even to work on Fridays.
3. The Shift Dress. The shift dress is an absolutely simple and feminine fashion item. It can be styled with anything. You can wear it with heels, ballet flats, sandals, boots, and converse shoes. Just don’t forget to grab a neckwear.
4. The choker necklace. It is a fine cross between Gothic and chic They also come in different styles so you can rock anyone according to your mood. They go nicely with off-shoulder clothes, shift dresses, strapless clothes, bralettes and regular tee-shirts.
5. The Jeans Skirt. This does basically the same thing a regular pair of jeans would do. There is nothing more to be said. Get yourself a jeans skirt.
6. The Vintage Shirt. This is basically an essential for the Nigerian campus. They are as they sound, vintage. These baggy patterned chiffon shirts that can be worn either as a shirt on its own or as a jacket.
7. Crop-tops. Girls wear these effortlessly and slay in them. Just make sure to wax your stomach area if you are hairy there before wearing this crop-top. You don’t want to wear a crop-top and have others see very unattractive hairs sprouting from your tummy region. That’s just a turn-off.
8. Jumpsuits and playsuits. Jumpsuits for Mondays and playsuits for Fridays. They are easy to wear -but not necessarily easy to take off when pressed to pee, and they show off your great figure.
9. The Bralette. Whether they are lace bralettes or just regular bralettes, this fashion trend is something that is fast-growing. You don’t have to wear it as a top on its own, there are other ways to wear this bralette and still look good. You can read how to right here.
10. Ripped jeans. If you are going to wear ripped jeans, make sure they are not too ripped or you might just come off as a homeless person.
11. Turbans. These head wraps come in very different colours and go with almost everything. They are quick to wear and are your rescue during bad hair days.
So when next you are going shopping, be sure to include these items on your list. These all look very fancy and lovely. You can also slay with these clothes and look very boujee.